The Department is home to the following programs:
The Department comprises of 14 fulltime lecturers and 25 adjunct lecturers, who specialize in various concentrations such as Biblical studies, Historical and Theological studies, Christian ethics, Missions.
The department is committed to the integration and advancement of both in its inquiry into the theological dimesnions of human life. The practice of theology requires a study of the origins and uses of Jewish and Christian scriptures, the history of Christianity (Eastern and Western, Catholicism, Protestantism and Pentecostalism), contemporary theologies and theological ethics.
It also provides the context in studying multiple relationships between theology and contemporary philosophies, religions and cultures. These diverse aims are ultimately in the service of reading about, writing about, thinking about and otherwise engaging God. We are looking forward to new terrains of theology and pastoral studies as a department.
DEPARTMENT OF PEACE & INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
Daystar has the longest history in Kenya in the teaching of Peace as a subject area. Since 1995 Peace and Conflict Transformation has been offered as a minor under the then Biblical and Religious Studies Department. In 2008 Daystar became the first Private University in Kenya to offer an undergraduate programme in Peace and Conflict Transformation and the only University integrating Transformative Theory and the Peace research perspective in peace and conflict studies.
Besides the academic programmes the department runs an outreach arm of Track-2 Diplomacy that seeks to analyze the root causes of specific conflicts in communities and to foster sustainable peace within and amongst communities through strategic capacity building and training.
The Department offers the following programs:
B.A Peace & Conflict Transformation (B.A, PCT)
The purpose of the B.A, PCT program is to integrate theory and practice with a view to preparing students to serve as change agents in war torn societies in Africa and the world. The program recognizes conflict as an inevitable phenomenon in human relationships and emphasizes on the transformation of conflicts and the development of non-violent mechanisms of responding to conflicts.
In addition, the Programme explores factors and conditions that make peace and justice possible including the promotion and protection of human rights, human security, and the causes of poverty and injustices in Africa. Career opportunities Graduates from this programme will work as mediation experts, young diplomats, Foreign Service, conflict analysts and the civil service among others.
Purpose of the program
The purpose of this programme is to explore the nexus between the twin disciplines of foreign affairs and security studies with a view to equipping students to become active leaders in a global context. It focuses on global issues among states within the international system including the role of states, inter-governmental organizations, international non-governmental organizations, and multinational corporations in the international arena.
The programme will provide students with the basic analytical frameworks and practical skills necessary to, understand, analyze and manage security issues and international affairs at local, regional and international levels. In addition it will explore the study of military problems while redefining the concept of security vis-à-vis non traditional military threats.
Graduates from this programme will:
- Work in business, government, and international organizations.
- Work as policymakers and security experts at local, regional and international context.
- Design and transform institutions concerned with managing international relations and security affairs.
- Analyze and formulate the foreign policy of particular states
- Participate as active citizens and leaders both locally and globally in such vocations mediation, refugee services, journalism, policy research, civil service and diplomacy.
- Employ critical thought and research skills in discovering the underlying causes of insecurity and international disputes and to invent appropriate solutions to the security challenges in the contemporary world.
One must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements:
Be a holder of Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with a minimum aggregate of C+ (Plus) or its equivalent Examination Certificate. In addition, a prospective Applicant must have obtained a minimum of C+ (Plus) in either History or Geography or a comparable subject in the humanities cluster or their equivalent in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education or in an Equivalent Examination Certificate.
Mature Age Entry to Undergraduate Program: There is a mature age qualifying scheme for admission to the University, the conditions of which are: Candidates who have attained a Diploma from a recognized institution will be considered for admission to the undergraduate program if the overall grade is equivalent to C+ regardless of their secondary school performance. Admission based on the acquired Diploma performance should meet individual subject requirement.
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Education Department aims at responding to Vision 2030. Towards this goal, the Department seeks to equip teachers with knowledge, skills, attitudes and values as school teachers, managers and professionals in related fields for effective servant leadership. The Department aims at providing high quality education to enable teachers to positively impact the society and the church.
The Department is endowed with a highly qualified faculty in various relevant fields of education as well as modern instruction resources. The location of the University provides a serene learning environment in our Athi River and Nairobi campuses where the Education programs are offered.
The University shall admit to the Bachelor of Education (B. Ed) Programmes those students who fulfill entry requirements that apply to all Daystar undergraduate students.
Minimum Academic Qualifications
- A minimum aggregate of a C+ in KCSE or its Equivalent;
- Diploma in Education from a recognized institution.
- Any graduate holder of any degree is eligible for Post graduate Diploma in Education (PDDE).
Programme Duration and Structure
- B. Ed is a four year programme while the PGDE runs for one year.
- All the B.Ed Regular Programmes are offered in Athi River Campus.
- School Based Programmes- B. Ed and PGDE are offered in Nairobi Campus during school holidays- April, August and December.
- All Education Programmes are offered during the day in Athi River and Nairobi campuses
Programmes on offer
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) in both Primary and Secondary education
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) in Early Childhood Development Education (ECDE) and
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) in:
- Language and Literature
- Christian Religious Education,
- Computer Science
Objectives of Daystar University Education Programmes
Education programmes seek to help the learners to:
- Apply curriculum theory and teaching pedagogy in the development of instructional programmes for classroom teaching and for other forms of instruction;
- Interpret, implement and evaluate curriculum in the learning environment for various levels of o school system;
- Use appropriate instructional strategies and educational media effectively to promote learning;
- Develop and implement appropriate visions, missions, plans and management strategies for schools;
- Use both intellectual and professional capacity to integrate Christian faith with teaching in the context of the diverse and transformed African cultural heritage;
- Acquire professional qualifications for higher studies or responsibilities in the field of education and
- Impact their students and communities with positive moral and spiritual values for personal and community transformation.
- B.Ed and ECDE Regular programs- May, August and January.
- B.Ed, PGDE and ECDE School Based Programs SBP) - December, August and April during school holidays.
- All SBP commence the first week of December, August and April school holidays.
- All education programmes are on a reduced fee concession of 10%.
- Application forms are available through Daystar University Inquiries Office, Nairobi campus and in the Daystar Website.