Serah Wachira is currently working in the Nursing Department as a lecturer and clinical coordinator. Serah has 15 years working experience as a specialty nurse.
She has been a clinical educator in different critical care settings for 8 years out of the 15 years of experience. She has a passion in improving Nursing Education locally and globally with specific interest in Critical Care teaching. She is a trained Emergency courses Instructor with a wealth of knowledge in Advanced cardiac and Trauma care.
Currently pursuing PhD in Nursing Education at The University of Nairobi
- MSc Nursing Education 2014: Kenya Methodist University. Thesis title: the theoretical and clinical competencies of newly graduated nurses post internship in Kenya
- BSc Nursing 2011: Baraton University of Eastern Africa. Project research: Nurses perception of how their type of work affects the academic performance of their children.
- Diploma in Critical Care Nursing (2000): The Nairobi Hospital School of post basic studies
- Diploma Kenya Registered Midwife (1999): The Mater Hospital School of Midwifery
- Diploma Kenya Registered Nurse (1997): The Cecily McDonnell School of Nursing
- Wachira, S. (2013). Nurses work schedule and their children’s academic performance. Germany: Lambert Academic Publishing ISBN: 978-3-659-45773-9
- Wachira, S., Mageto, I., & Mapesa, J. (January to March, 2017). The self assessed clinical judgment competencies of newly graduated nurses post internship in Kenya. International Journal of Nursing Education Volume 9 Number 1 DOI: 10.5958/0974-9357.2017.00023.X; ISSN: 0974-9349
Conferences and Seminars
- 2016 The Critical Care Nurses Chapter Annual Scientific Conference. Presented a paper on an evaluation of clinical judgment skills of critical care nurses using a clinical reasoning model based on case studies
- 2016 The Royal college of London Annual Scientific Conference in Manchester UK
- 2015 The Royal College of London Annual Scientifc conference in Burmingham UK
- 2015 The Critical Care Nurses Annual Scientific Conference presented in abscentia on the role of mobile phones in propagating infections in the ICU
- 2012 First Responder seminar with stabilization of trauma patients: USA Embassy
- 2011 Attended the Trauma and Mass Casualty Situation workshop held at Haifa in Israel
- 2007: Kenya Pediatric Association (KPA) conference demonstrated Newborn Life Support skills at this conference
- 2007: Presented a paper at The Nairobi Hospital Annual ICU Symposium: The role of the Nurse in Critical Care
- 2005 September: Attended European Dialysis and Transplant Nurses Association (EDTNA) conference at Vienna in Austria Europe)
- 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010: Kenya Intensive Care Nurses Chapter (KICNC) conference, Presented papers at these conferences.
- Quality of Nursing Education in terms of impact on health outcomes
- Critical care: The role of the nurse
National Resuscitation Council of Kenya- Member of the Advanced Cardiac Life Support committee
- Israel Shalom Alumni club Kenya chapter: Assistant National Secretary
- A member of the Christian Medical Fellowship
- A member of the Critical Care Nurses Chapter